'I like the challenge of doing something slightly different,' says filmmaker
Edgar Wright has insisted that he will try to bring his own style to his forthcoming Ant-Man adaptation for Marvel.
Wright, who has directed films such as Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim Vs The World in the past, told Fandango that he was eager to bring his own sensibilities and idiosyncrasies to the Hollywood project.
“I like the challenge of doing something slightly different,” he said. “I think there will be some elements of my previous movies in there, and I think that’s why Marvel wanted me to do it in the first place. I don’t think they hired me to do something completely anonymous. So it’s fun – it’s got lots of new elements. I’m excited about it.”
In a separate interview with Screen Daily, meanwhile, Wright revealed that his plans to shoot the film in Pinewood studios in London had been scuppered. “Ironically, Ant-Man was meant to shoot in London, but London is full because I guess that Pinewood extension got turned down,” he said. “While the tax break is good for Hollywood films shooting here, it’s probably not that great for British films shooting in the UK. Some middle-to-low budget films are going to find themselves without crew because all the American films are shooting here.”
As well as directing, Wright co-wrote the film’s script with Joe Cornish, also his collaborator on the screenplay for The Adventures Of Tintin. Ant-Man has been scheduled to open in US cinemas on July 31, 2015 – just two weeks after the Batman v Superman movie – but its UK release date has yet to be confirmed.
The character of Ant-Man made his Marvel comic book debut in 1962 but has never appeared on screen before. In the books he is the superhero alter ego of Dr Hank Pym, a scientist who invents a shrinking serum that makes him insect size. Once miniature, he is able to solve mysteries and take out bad guys.