"It's really sad, and it's really disappointing, but it happens"
The former directors of Solo: A Star Wars Movie have spoken about about being fired from the Star Wars spin-off movie.
The Han Solo-focussed story has had a bumpy ride, with Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s sudden firing earlier this year coming as a surprise to many fans. It was claimed that the original directors were sacked for turning the classic franchise character into one more akin to Jim Carrey’s Ace Ventura. They were later replaced by famed Hollywood director Ron Howard.
Now, the pair have spoken out on the experience for the first time. “The experience of shooting the movie was wonderful,” Lord said at the Vulture Festival in Los Angeles. “We had the most incredible cast and crew and collaborators.
“I think in terms of us leaving the project, I think everybody went in with really good intentions and our approach to making the movie was different than theirs. That was a really big gap to bridge, and it proved to be too big.
“Sometimes people break up, and it’s really sad, and it’s really disappointing, but it happens and we learned a lot from our collaborators and we’re better filmmakers for it.”
He added: “We’re really proud of the work we did on the movie and we wish everybody the best.”
Miller echoed Lord’s sentiments: “As Phil said, we had such a great relationship with cast and crew, we were really rooting for them. After we took a much-needed vacation, we got back into it and now we’re writing and producing a sequel to The Lego Movie and producing a Miles Morales animated Spider-Man.”
Alden Ehrenreich will play the young Han Solo in the movie, alongside an all-star cast that includes Game Of Thrones’ Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton, Donald Glover and Fleabag‘s Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
Solo will arrive in cinemas on May 25, 2018.