‘Hellboy’ reboot release date announced

It's coming in 2019

The release date for the rebooted Hellboy has been revealed – and it’s coming early in 2019.

The iconic Hellboy series is getting a modern reboot, following the initial launch of the comic book series with 2004’s Hellboy movie, which was followed by Hellboy II: The Golden Army in 2008. Stranger Things’ David Harbour is playing the titular anti-hero.

Now, fans of the devilish series can start getting excited, with the news that Hellboy will be hitting US cinemas on Friday, January 11, 2019.

The production has not been without its controversies, with recent filming around Wells Cathedral in Somerset attracting complaints from nearby residents. “For heavens’s sake,” said Pamela Eagan, who lives opposite the church. “Are we losing sight of what this was built for? I have to say I am surprised and shocked.”

A spokesman from Wells Cathedral has since said that they didn’t realise that the filming would cause concern, but that they’d certainly be investigating further. They also added that ‘the superhero’s true nature was that of a defender against the forces of darkness, in an eternal battle of good against evil’.

Earlier this year, British actor Ed Skrein left his role as Major Ben Daimio after the film was hit with allegations of ‘whitewashing’ – Daimio’s character in the comic books is of Japanese-American origin. Additionally, Guillermo Del Toro left the project due to budgeting concerns.

Lost star Daniel Dae Kim has since been announced as Skrein’s replacement, with Game Of Thrones and Deadwood‘s Ian McShane also recently added to the cast. McShane will play Hellboy’s adoptive father, Professor Broom.