Damon Lindelof also raises doubts that J J Abrams will return for next installment…
The Klingons could feature heavily in the next Star Trek film, according to co-producer and writer Damon Lindelof.
The iconic sci-fi warriors will reportedly be included sparingly in the forthcoming Star Trek Into Darkness but, in an interview with HeyUGuys, Lindelof said they could play a larger role in the follow-up.
“You can never see enough Klingons,” he said. “I think in [Star Trek Into Darkness] we’ve given the audience a little taste, but there’s also a promise that there’s a larger conflict on the horizon, and that would be fun to see.”
Lindelof also spoke about the possibility of Benedict Cumberbatch – who stars as a mysterious villain in the film – returning in the future. “To answer that question would be to determine whether or not he actually survives this movie,” he said. “But if he survives this movie, I think that we would be incredibly stupid to not use him again.”
However, the producer suggested it was unlikely that Abrams, who will also be heading Disney’s Star Wars project, would direct a third film in the series by stating that a return would only be possible if he had “cloning technology”.
A new clip from Star Trek Into Darkness was previewed online earlier this week, with the 80-second teaser featuring a tense exchange between Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk and Cumberbatch – scroll down to the bottom of the page and click to watch.
The film, which also stars Zachary Quinto as Spock, Simon Pegg as Scotty and Zoe Saldana as Nyota, is due to arrive in UK cinemas on May 9.