'Bourne' producer Frank Marshall wants both lead actors to appear in the next film
Bourne producer Frank Marshall has admitted that he wants Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner to join forces for the next film in the series.
Damon has portrayed amnesiac assassin Jason Bourne in three action thrillers based on the novels by Robert Ludlum. His most recent appearance as Bourne came in 2007’s The Bourne Ultimatum, which grossed more than £280 million ($440 million) worldwide.
However, Damon and the Jason Bourne character will not appear in The Bourne Legacy, which is scheduled for release in August. The new sequel stars Jeremy Renner as a CIA agent dealing with the aftermath of events in the previous Bourne films.
Frank Marshall, producer of all four Bourne films, told Empire that developments in The Bourne Legacy do not preclude Damon’s character from returning. “You see there are several different programmes in the movie with different skill sets. All possibilities are open. My dream is that in the next one we see Matt and Jeremy team up,” he said.
Discussing the differences between his character and Damon’s, Renner told the magazine: “He’s coming from a completely different background to Jason. He knows exactly who he is; he signed up to this. He wants to be part of a team. I can tell you he was in the military, then he joined this programme.”
Damon has previously given his blessing to the new Bourne film and admitted that he hopes to reunite with director Paul Greengrass. “I really want to do another one with Paul and I’m sure it’ll happen someday, but for now they’re doing this,” he told Shortlist last year.
The Bourne Legacy opens on August 10 in the US and three days later in the UK.