Actor has met with writer Seth Graeme-Smith about reprising role
Michael Keaton is “hugely” interested in a Beetlejuice sequel, according to reports.
Shock Til You Drop claims that Keaton, who teamed up with director Tim Burton for the original flick in 1988, is keen to reprise his lead role and has been meeting with writer Seth Graeme-Smith to discuss ideas.
Graeme-Smith, who is working on the sequel with producer David Katzenberg, said: “It’s a reality in the sense that I met with Michael Keaton last week. We talked for a couple of hours and talked about big picture stuff. It’s a priority for Warner Bros. It’s a priority for Tim.”
When asked about how much interest Keaton had in the project, he replied:
Huge, he’s been wanting to do it for 20 years and he’ll talk to anybody about it who will listen. I really told him, I have a huge reverence for Tim and a huge reverence for that film in general.
He went on to add: “I don’t think we should do it if we shit on the legacy. He agrees. So, right now, it remains to be seen. I have a couple of story ideas, but we’ve very early out.”
Last month (January 13), Tim Burton was reportedly on the verge of getting on board with a sequel to Beetlejuice. The original film saw a pair of recently deceased ghosts contract the services of a ‘bio-exorcist’ in order to remove the obnoxious new owners of their house.