Filmmaker says he's not interested in helming 'Episode 7'…
Steven Spielberg has ruled himself out of the running to direct a new Star Wars film.
Last week (October 31), Disney announced plans to make a new series of Star Warsfilms after buying Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion (£2.5 billion), with Episode VII supposedly earmarked for release in 2015.
With George Lucas set to serve as “creative consultant” on the new movies but without playing an active role in their development, speculation as to who will helm the new trilogy of movies has been rife.
However, when asked by Access Hollywood about the possibility of directing one of the films, Spielberg quashed any rumours of his involvement and insisted he wouldn’t be a good match for the sci-fi franchise.
“No! No! It’s not my genre. It’s my best friend George’s genre.
According to Comic Book Movie, however, Spielberg’s comments mark a U-turn from his previous position on Star Wars – they quote him as saying in 2002 that he had been eager to be involved in working on the series, only for George Lucas to dismiss the idea. “I’ve asked [Lucas]. He won’t let me do one,” he said. “I wanted to do one 15 years ago, and he didn’t want me to do it. I understand why – Star Wars is George’s baby. It’s his cottage industry and it’s his fingerprints. He knows I’ve got Jurassic Park and Raiders. But George has Star Wars and I don’t think he feels inclined to share any of it with me.”
Yesterday (November 9), it was reported that the new Star Wars trilogy has already been scripted by Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt. X-Men helmer Matthew Vaughn is supposedly in talks to direct Episode VII, meanwhile, while Harrison Ford is said to be “open” to the idea of returning as Han Solo.