July 10, 2011 15:39
'We're talking to Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters for 2012' says Sonisphere organiser
Stuart Galbraith also names dates for next year's Knebworth event
Speaking at the official festival press conference, he also confirmed that the festival would be running over the weekend of July 6-8 in 2012 and that tickets for next year's event would be going on sale on Wednesday (July 13), with prices capped at this year's rates for a limited number of tickets.
Asked if he would consider booking either Foo Fighters or Red Hot Chili Peppers for 2012, he said: "They're both two that we're talking to, amongst a whole list of others. I also think we could have Green Day and Blink-182 here, but none of those are confirmed."
Galbraith also said that he had no intention of increasing the festival's capacity, despite this year's sell out and Knebworth having hosted gigs with capacities of over 125,000 people in the past. He said: "Sonisphere at Knebworth is 60,000 capacity and our current intention is that it will stay like that for the foreseeable future, we're not looking for it to become a mega festival. We're not looking to create a 100,000 capacity festival."
The organiser also said that tent crime had been down by over 300 per cent at this year's event and that there was yet to be a single car break-in.
Sonisphere continues today with sets from Motorhead, Limp Bizkit and a headline set from Slipknot.
NME.COM is coming live from the T In The Park and Sonisphere this weekend. Stay tuned to NME.COM/festivals/t-in-the-park and NME.COM/festivals/sonisphere for news, blogs, photo galleries and video interviews from both sites.
- Previous: Former Motorhead guitarist Michael 'Würzel' Burston dies aged 61
- Next: Cancer Bats at Sonisphere: 'We're ready to party on our new album'