April 18, 2012 8:54

Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose posts new update on Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame withdrawal

Singer writes an unusually upbeat letter, thanking fans and media for their support

Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose posts new update on Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame withdrawal

Photo: PA

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose has posted another open letter on the situation surrounding his band's induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Rose was booed at Saturday night's (April 14) ceremony when his name was mentioned by Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong after he had publicly withdrew from the ceremony last week and ask that he not be inducted at all.

Now, writing his second open letter in under a week on the band's Facebook page Facebook.com/GunsNRoses, the singer said that despite the boos, he wanted to thank all his fans for their support and even apologised for not attending the show.

He wrote: "To Cleveland, Ohio, Guns N' Roses Fans and everyone who's shown support for my decision regarding the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I seriously didn't plan on or expect the overwhelmingly positive response and public support for my decision regarding the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame."

He continued: "With such a generous outpouring of solidarity from fans, media outlets, writers and other artists, I'm truly humbled, blown away and unbelievably relieved! To be honest, I thought it would go the other way and was just hoping to weather the storm. As I said, I sincerely didn't want to disappoint anyone. It gets old being the outlaw even if 'it's only rock and roll'."

Rose then went on to say that he still had his doubts about what the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame represented, but was clear to point out that he was not issuing an attack.

He went on: "I still don't exactly know or understand what the Hall is or how or why it makes money, where the money goes, who chooses the voters and why anyone or this board decides who, out of all the artists in the world that have contributed to this genre, officially "rock" enough to be in the Hall? This isn't an attack. These are genuine issues I don't have enough verified information on to have more than rough ideas."

The singer then went on to apologise to the people of Cleveland for not attending the ceremony and told a bizarre story about buying a homeless person pizza.

He added: "I would like to apologise to Cleveland, Ohio for not apologising to them beforehand for not attending [the ceremony] in their city. Now that the smoke's cleared a little, any desperate, misguided attacks have been just that, a pathetic stab at gossip, some lame vindictiveness, the usual entitlement crap, he's obsessed, crazy, volatile, a hater. I once bought a homeless woman a slice of pizza who yelled at me she wanted soup. We got her the soup. You can get your own."

You can read the full statement at Facebook.com/GunsNRoses.

In Rose's absence, former Guns N' Roses' members Slash, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler performed 'Appetite For Destruction' hits 'Mr Brownstone', 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and 'Paradise City' with Alter Bridge frontman Myles Kennedy.

They were also joined by later GNR members Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke for the performance, footage of which you can watch by scrolling down and clicking below.







Read More On This Artist

Video: Walk On Stage With Slash At Download 2010

Guns N' Roses Merchandise
Comments

Please login to add your comment.

Featured Videos
Latest Tickets - Booking Now
 
Know Your NME
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 

 
NME Store & Framed Prints
Most Read News
Popular This Week
Inside NME.COM
New Issue Out Now
On NME.COM Today