James Blake: 'People would've found dubstep without me'

The electronic artist discusses his recent success and Mercury Prize nomination

James Blake: 'People would've found dubstep without me'

Photo: Richard Johnson

James Blake has spoken out about his recent success, including his self-titled debut's nomination for the Mercury Prize 2011.

The solo artist has also promised a new EP for release soon, following last month's 'Order/Pan', and added that he can’t take all the credit for people in the US finding out about the UK's dubstep scene, but it's "nice" that he has been "helping it along". Blake said:

People would've found out about dubstep without me. It's such an inspiring genre of music. It was already being heard in the US, but yeah, it's nice. I'm glad to be helping it along.


He said that his success has also allowed him to do the thing that interests him the most, to write more music:

I feel really happy about [how well the music has done]. It's amazing. I'm not really interested in anything else. It's allowed me to have a great time. It's given me time to write more music and to know that there will be an audience for it, hopefully.


Talking to Spinner, he said that he may soon have to stop recording his tracks on the computer in his bedroom, adding that he “isn't about world domination". The London-based musician added: "I don't know where things are going but I do in terms of what I'm going to release. I don't know where that's going to take me. It remains to be seen."

James Blake will open this weekend's Big Chill Festival a day early tomorrow (Thursday August 4), with a set on the Deer Park Stage. The Big Chill takes place at Eastnor Castle, Deer Park, Herefordshire from August 4-7.

Read More On This Artist

Comments

Please login to add your comment.

Latest Tickets - Booking Now
 
Know Your NME
 

 
NME Store & Framed Prints
Inside NME.COM