Jay-Z hits back at Noel Gallagher in Glasto row

'We have to respect each other' says the Glastonbury headliner

Jay Z
Jay-Z has hit back at Oasis mainman Noel Gallagher's recent comments that hip-hop is "not suitable" for the Glastonbury festival, which the rapper is set to headline.

Noel Gallagher said Jay-Z and hip-hop was wrong for Glastonbury last month, adding, "I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? No chance".

The rapper has hit back at the singer/guitarist by backing up his genre, and calling for respect between those who make different types of music.

According to The Sun Jay-Z said: "We don't play guitars, Noel, but hip-hop has put in its work like any other form of music. This headline show is just a natural progression. Rap music is still evolving.

"From Afrika Bambaataa DJ-ing in the Bronx and Run-DMC going platinum, to Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince winning the first rap Grammy, I'm just next in the line.

"We have to respect each others' genre of music and move forward."

Jay-Z went on to say that he was looking forward to his headline slot at Glastonbury on June 28, despite the controversy surrounding it. "I've never ever had a show that's caused this much of a stir so I'm really looking forward to it," he said.

"I've never been involved in anything this controversial," he added. "What's the big deal about doing a show? I guess it's heritage and people hold that dear to their heart and see it one way but that's how the world is."

Share This

Connect With Us
This Week's Magazine