Michael Eavis says Glastonbury 2013 headliners are 'lined up'

Plus organiser says 2008 event could have been cancelled

Andy Willsher/NME
Pic: Andy Willsher/NME
Michael Eavis has said that he has three headliners for Glastonbury festival in 2013 "lined up".

The festival chief was speaking today (June 26), on the last day of the 2011 event at the festival's Worthy Farm site that he owns. He also said that if he hadn't been able to book headliner Jay-Z for the 2008 event it may have been called off.

"We can't wait for 2013," he said. "We love it. I've never seen so many people enjoying themselves, it was fantastic, even with the [rainy] conditions. We can't wait to do it again." Glastonbury festival won't take place next year, as the site will be given time to recover.

He added: "We've already got three headliners lined up for 2013. I know who they all are, but I'm not going to go into details about that. It took us years to really get headliners, you know. It took us years, that's why we got Jay-Z, because we needed a headliner. We were going to cancel until we got him, so he kind of saved us that year."

Jay-Z watched Coldplay headline Glastonbury last night, while his wife Beyonce is set to headline tonight.

Earlier in the day Eavis commented on a more sombre affair: the death of senior Tory Christopher Shale on the site.

NME.COM is coming live from Glastonbury 2011 this weekend – stay tuned to NME.COM/festivals/glastonbury for news reports, reviews and photos from Worthy Farm. Then head back from Monday for backstage video interviews.
Glastonbury 2011 - At Home With The Eavises Glastonbury 2011 - At Home With The Eavises
Video: Glastonbury 2011 - At Home With The Eavises

Share This

Connect With Us
This Week's Magazine