CAN'T KNOCK THE HUSTLE

"I have accepted responsibility for my actions..."

Photo: Next Previous

Photo Gallery: Jay-Z

Hiphop figurehead JAY-Z has broken his silence over last week's court appearance that saw him plead guilty to stabbing record producer LANCE RIVERA in a nightclub fight almost two years ago.

In a brief statement, Jay-Z said: "By pleading guilty to a charge of misdemeanor assault, I have accepted responsibility for my actions as well as the actions of others who were involved in a dispute with Lance Rivera at the Kit Kat Club in December of 1999."


He added: "I am very pleased that this unfortunate episode is now over and equally pleased that an unrelated weapon possession charge that I should never have been arrested for has now been dismissed by the district attorney."

The star will receive a three-year probation sentence for the crime during a hearing on December 6. It emerged last week, following the hearing, that he paid Rivera $600,000 and Rivera then stopped cooperating with prosecution lawyers. Had a criminal trial started and Jay-Z, real name Shawn Carter, been found guilty, he would have been on a second-degree felony charge and would have faced a 15-year prison sentence.

Prosecutors said: "The victim... told [prosecutors] that money he had received from Carter pursuant to the threatened lawsuit adequately compensated him for the stabbing."

Read More On This Artist

Comments

Please login to add your comment.

Latest Tickets - Booking Now
 
Know Your NME
 

 
NME Store & Framed Prints
Inside NME.COM