February 24, 2012 10:37
Lady Gaga hits back after 'Born This Way' is dubbed the 'most pretentious album ever'
Singer takes to Twitter after NME's recent blog post
The singer took to Twitter to vent her anger after she read our recent blog post - titled The 10 Most Pretentious Albums Ever.
Oh the irony of winning "Most Pretentious Album Ever" from none other than NME. *eyeroll* I might laugh forever + then return to narcissism.
The singer's 2011 album was among a host of LPs criticised for being pretentious including Metallica and Lou Reed's recent collaboration 'Lulu', The Smashing Pumpkins' 'Machina/The Machines Of God' and Mansun's 'Six'.
Following a burst of activity in the wake of 'Born This Way' in May 2011, Gaga has had a quieter start to 2012, though she recently revealed that songs for the follow-up are "beginning to flourish." She has also continued to be unflinchingly honest in interviews, revealing that she overcame bulimia to save her singing voice. "I used to throw up all the time in high school, so I'm not that confident," she said.
"And maybe it's easier for me to talk about it now because I don't do it anymore. I wanted to be a skinny little ballerina but I was a voluptuous little Italian girl whose dad had meatballs on the table every night. I used to come home and say, 'Dad, why do you always give us this food? I need to be thin. 'And he'd say, 'Eat your spaghetti.'"
Gaga, who has sold an estimated 23 million albums worldwide, has come in for criticism over the aggressive online tactics employed by her fans, known as her "little monsters". As previously reported, Lady Gaga fans have been accused of whipping up orchestrated internet campaigns against the likes of Adele and Madonna.
In the wake of the Adele incident, in which hardcore Lady Gaga fans targeted Adele and her fans with abuse, Gaga's representative issued a statement saying: "Lady Gaga does not approve of bullying anyone for their physical appearance, it goes against everything she stands for. A tiny handful of fans may be letting her down."
40 angriest Lady Gaga fans
The Top 10 on our list of the most pretentious albums ever was as follows:
1. Lady Gaga – 'Born This Way'
2. Terence Trent D'Arby – 'Neither Fish Nor Flesh'
3. Lou Reed and Metallica – 'Lulu'
4. Lou Reed – 'Metal Machine Music'
5. The Passengers – 'Original Soundtracks (Volume 1)'
6. Mansun – 'Six'
7. KISS - 'Music From 'The Elder''
8. Transvision Vamp – 'Little Magnets Versus The Bubble Of Babble'
9. The Smashing Pumpkins – 'Machina / The Machines Of God'
10. Pete Townshend - 'Psychoderelict'
- Previous: Watch two new previews for Odd Future’s reality TV series ‘Loiter Squad’ - video
- Next: Stephen Street: 'I'd love to make a new album with Blur'