December 16, 2012 15:53
Madonna's 'MDNA' tour named highest-grossing tour of 2012
Singer's world jaunt may have been controversial - but it raked in the cash...
Madonna's 'MDNA' tour has been named the highest-grossing tour of 2012.
The singer courted controversy throughout her world jaunt, but according to figures compiled by Billboard, she raked in the most cash on the live circuit this year after pocketing a staggering $228 million (£141 million) - trumping Bruce Springsteen, who earned $198 million (£123 million).
Madonna made the headlines numerous times during the run of shows, with standout incidents including her being booed by disgruntled French fans for delivering a short set, brandishing a gun onstage in Denver shortly after the Colorado shootings in July of this year, and angering Russian fans by handing out pink anti-homophobia wristbands - a stunt that saw charges brought against her in a Russian court, although they were later dismissed.
More recently, meanwhile, she also expressed her support for the victims of Superstorm Sandy last month (November 11) by baring her bum onstage and telling the crowd: "Get over my naked ass and give me some money".
After using her shows to make several pointed onstage remarks about Lady Gaga, too, Madonna will no doubt be pleased to see her rival down in sixth place in the list, after making $124 million (£76 million) - an added boon after it was reported earlier this week that Madonna concerts in South America outsell rival Lady Gaga by three to one, despite being three times as expensive.
Other notable inclusions in the list, meanwhile, include Roger Waters at number three with figures $199 million (£123 million), while Coldplay are fifth after raking in $147 million (£90.9 million). Veteran rockers Van Halen were the eighth most financially profitable live act courtesy of their $54 million (£33 million), putting them ahead of 'Watch The Throne' pair Jay-Z and Kanye West ($46 million (£28 million)).
Elsewhere, many of the most profitable acts were more established artists including Rod Stewart and Elton John, although newcomers such as Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift were also included. The highest grossing tours of 2012 were as follows:
1. Madonna ($228 million) (£141 million)
2. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band ($199 million) (£123 million)
3. Roger Waters ($186 million) (£115 million)
4. Michael Jackson: THE IMMORTAL World Tour by Cirque Du Soleil ($147 million) (£90.9 million)
5. Coldplay ($147 million) (£90.9 million)
6. Lady Gaga ($124 million) (£76 million)
7. Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw ($96 million) (£59 million)
8. Van Halen ($54 million) (£33 million)
9. Jay-Z & Kanye West ($46 million) (£28 million)
10. Andre Rieu ($46 million) (28 million)
11. Dave Matthews Band ($41 million) (£25 million)
12. Barbra Streisand ($40 million) (£24.7 million)
13. Jason Aldean ($39 million) (£24.1 million)
14. Lady Antebellum ($38 million) (£23 million)
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers ($33 million) (£20 million)
16. Brad Paisley ($33 million) (£20 million)
17. Nickelback ($33 million) (£20 million)
18. Trans-Siberian Orchestra (£20 million)
19. Elton John ($32 million) (£19 million)
20. Justin Bieber ($30 million) (£18.5 million)
21. Rod Stewart ($30 million) (£18.5 million)
22. Neil Diamond ($29 million) (£17.9 million)
23. Pearl Jam ($27 million) (£16.6 million)
24. Taylor Swift ($26 million) (£16 million)
25. Rascal Flatts ($26 million) (£16 million)
- Previous: Spiritualized, Elbow's Guy Garvey and Summer Camp play Christmas Tree Sessions charity gig
- Next: 'X Factor' winner James Arthur claims year's biggest first-week sales total in UK Singles Chart