Date set for Conrad Murray's Michael Jackson manslaughter trial

Doctor pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter charge

PA Photo
Pic:PA Photo
Michael Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray will stand trial this March accused of involuntary manslaughter relating to the singer's death in June 2009.

The trial, which is expected to last for six weeks, will begin on March 28. Murray has pleaded not guilty, meaning he could be sentenced to four years in prison if convicted. BBC News reports that judges are considering whether to allow television coverage of the trial.

Speaking in court in Los Angeles, Murray said: "I am an innocent man."

A preliminary hearing earlier this month saw several witnesses testify that he had given Jackson powerful anaesthetics in the hours before his death, and that he had subsequently tried to hide drug paraphernalia.

Murray's defence team said that it has not yet been proven how he caused the singer's death, with defence attorney Ed Chernoff telling reporters outside the court: "Dr Murray is looking forward to finally telling his side of the story."

Share This

Connect With Us
This Week's Magazine