February 22, 2014 14:36
Miguel apologises for drink driving conviction
R&B star pleaded no contest to DUI charge and was sentenced to a three-year probation
He appeared in court last week and pleaded no contest to the charge, and was duly sentenced to three years informal probation, paid a fine of $360 (£216) and will complete an alcohol education class.
The R&B singer was arrested and charged for driving under the influence of alcohol last August after being pulled over by police for speeding in his BMW X6. Officers at the scene noted he "reeked of booze" and gave him a breathalyser test, which he failed. He was taken to a nearby police station and later released on a $5,000 (£3,000) bail several hours later. After the sentencing, Miguel issued a statement saying: "Driving with alcohol in my system was reckless. I'm really sorry and I'm taking responsibility for this mistake."
Earlier this year, Miguel revealed he was working with Jessie Ware on his third album. The R&B singer has begun work on the follow-up to 2012's 'Kaleidoscope Dream' and told the Hollywood Reporter he had spent the past fortnight in LA working with Ware on a song for the record. He also revealed J Cole was involved with the new album, after he had discovered the rapper was in the same studio.
"It was a little daunting because I wasn't sure how rusty I'd be," Miguel said about starting work on his third album. "I'd been collecting ideas and writing down concepts and phrases and all those things you hoard as you're moving along, and that very first day in the first hour, we had something special. I think my spirit was ready to go and ride the wave, so to speak. I've been so focused on performing and making sure that what we do live is connecting. So now I'm just happy to be in a place where I can have solitude and just create freely."
- Previous: Sky Ferreira forced to pull out of Miley Cyrus tour support after injuring herself on stage
- Next: Pink to perform at Academy Awards on March 2