NME speak to Rose and AC/DC in an exclusive interview
Axl Rose has revealed that he hasn’t spoken to AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson about filling in for him live for the rest of the classic rock band’s tour.
Guns N’ Roses frontman Rose has been enlisted as a stand-in for long-term singer Johnson for the remainder of AC/DC’s Rock or Bust World Tour, after the Australian singer was advised against performing live amid fears of suffering permanent hearing loss. Brian Johnson had been AC/DC’s frontman since 1980, joining the group following the death of previous singer Bon Scott.
The band resume their tour with Rose in Lisbon this Saturday (May 7). Ahead of the show, Rose and his new AC/DC bandmates spoke to NME in an exclusive interview.
Asked about whether Rose had enlisted advise from Johnson, the singer said: “I have not spoken with Brian, only because we haven’t spoken much about Brian. There hasn’t been any negative talk with the guys or anything, it’s just the time schedule of having to get things together for the shows, while also I had Guns N’ Roses commitments and then breaking the foot. The day I found out it was broken I left the hospital to rehearse. My only day off was the surgery day and the next day was back to rehearsals.”
Speaking to BBC 6Music, Rose also said that he meant “no disrespect” to Johnson by taking his place in the group. “I’m happy and excited in one sense, but I think it would be inappropriate to be celebrating, in a certain way, at someone else’s expense,” he added.
AC/DC currently have 12 European live dates booked in for May and June, including two UK shows: London’s Olympic Stadium on June 4 and Manchester’s Etihad Stadium on June 9.
Rose will then rejoin Guns N’ Roses for their ‘Not In This Lifetime’ North American tour, which runs from June 23 to August 22. The band – now missing just one member of its classic lineup, Izzy Stradlin – played their first gigs back with two Coachella headline sets last month.