Singer says work and personal lives are separate

Akon has said he would be willing to work with disgraced Chris Brown, despite assault charges brought against the star after he allegedly attacked his girlfriend Rihanna.

The rap icon says he would “absolutely” work with Brown, despite the recent bad publicity he has attracted.

He said “I wouldn’t take anybody’s personal issues or problems – I won’t hold them accountable for that when it comes to work. I think it’s two separate things.”

Brown allegedly assaulted Rihanna in the early hours of February 8 after the pair got into an argument. Pictures of Rihanna later surfaced on the Internet, showing her bloodied and bruised.

But Akon is optimistic that Brown will learn from the experience, telling the Associated Press: “He’s gonna learn and he’s gonna move forward and just hopefully he won’t treat the next woman the same way.”

Akon was sentenced to a fine and community service late last year after throwing a teen from the stage during a concert.

He also shares Oprah‘s opinion that both Brown and Rihanna should seek help following the incident.

He stated: “They have problems, they go through issues, and some of them, of course, expand to domestic violence which I don’t in any way condone. But, you know, sometimes you really can’t control it and some people just need to seek help and figure out ways to deal with their emotions and how they deal with issues and certain things.”

–By our New York staff.
Find out more about NME.