London court hears that the singer died as a result of accidental alcohol poisoning
The second inquest into Amy Winehouse‘s death has confirmed the original verdict of misadventure.
It was ruled again today (January 8) at London’s St Pancras Coroner’s Court that the singer died as a result of accidental alcohol poisoning in July 2011. The verdict is identical to the one recorded at the first hearing in October 2011, which had to be repeated after the deputy coroner was found to lack the relevant experience. The new inquest heard the same evidence as the first hearing.
The court was told the star was more than five times over the legal drink-drive limit when she died, having 416mg of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood in her system – the legal driving limit is 80mg, reports BBC News.
St Pancras Coroner Dr Shirley Radcliffe told the court that the star died from “alcohol toxicity”, adding that this was “a level of alcohol commonly associated with fatality”. She said that Winehouse had “voluntarily consumed alcohol” and noted that “two empty vodka bottles were on the floor” beside her bed when her body was discovered.
The inquiry was re-opened last month after it emerged that St Pancras Coroner Dr Andrew Reid had hired his ‘unqualified’ wife to assist with the original inquiry.
Winehouse’s father Mitch expressed his anger at the time that an error meant that the inquest into his daughter’s death had to be reopened.