Wembley Stadium gigs to “hopefully” go ahead

Officials for the venue are optimistic

Management at Wembley Stadium have said that they are optimistic that their run of summer concerts can still go ahead.

The announcement follows recent concern surrounding delays to the completion of the rebuilt site.

The FA Cup Final – taking place on May 13 and originally the stadium’s opening event – has now been moved to Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium as organisers were not confident the venue would be finished in time.

According to BBC News, a Wembley spokeswoman said: “We’re very hopeful the concerts will go ahead.”

The first gigs at the new stadium are scheduled to be played by Bon Jovi on June 10-11.

Take That are set to play a reunion gig there on June 24 before The Rolling Stones on August 20 and 22 and Robbie Williams on September 14-16 and 18-19.

No plans have so far emerged to move the football Community Shield, which is due to take place on August 13, but Wembley’s chief executive Michael Cunnah said: “It’s still too early to say when the stadium will be open.”

The Football Association-backed company who own WembleyWembley National Stadium Ltd – said yesterday (February 21) they were “still in discussions” with music promoters about the events.

“It is too early to say at the moment,” they said. “We are talking with the music promoters but we have not made our decision.”

Promoters for the Bon Jovi show, AEG Live, admitted they were considering thier options, but were keen for the shows to take place at their intended venue.

“We are working closely with Wembley concerning the two Bon Jovi shows scheduled on June 10 and June 11. Everyone at the company appreciates that these are extremely difficult circumstances,” explained AEG Live‘s Rob Hallet.

“Whilst I can’t go into any detail we are considering all of our options. Wembley want to stage the shows, AEG Live want Wembley to stage the shows – and the band naturally want to see through the honour of being invited to open the stadium”.

Wembley Stadium was due to be completed in autumn last year, but the deadline has since been extended, first to the end of January and then the end of March.

Building work on the venue has been plagued with difficulties and even if work on the site was finished by the end of March, management of the stadium would have to train staff and satisfy safety officials before any major events could be held.