Boy George pleads innocence over drugs charge

Buy Tickets

The star says he'll fight

Boy George’s lawyer says the star is innocent and will fight charges of drug possession.

The Eighties megastar was arrested on October 7 last year after police allegedly found cocaine at his apartment in New York when they responded to a burglary call.

The singer – real name George O’Dowd – entered no plea when he appeared in court in Manhattan yesterday (February 1).

The case was adjourned until March 8 after lawyer Lou Freeman asked for more time to prepare the case, reports the BBC.

Speaking after the hearing, the singer’s lawyer said many people had been entertained at the apartment, and his client did not know whose drugs they were.

He added: “He steadfastly maintains his innocence as to these charges. He’s already pleaded not guilty, he continues that plea of not guilty in the strongest possible terms. He will fight these drug charges to prove his innocence.”

Boy George was charged with one count of criminal possession of a controlled substance after he was arrested. He could face up to five-and-a-half years in prison if found guilty.