Buy Tickets

Former BBC Radio 1 DJ says the singer has had the album 'on hold for years throughout this ordeal'

Cliff Richard is planning to release a new album now the investigation surrounding him is over, according to one of the singer’s friends.

The Crown Prosecution Service confirmed last month (June) that the enduringly popular singer, real name Harry Webb, will not face charges over alleged historical sex offences after an investigation that began in 2014 yielded “insufficient evidence to prosecute”.

“I have always maintained my innocence, co-operated fully with the investigation, and cannot understand why it has taken so long to get to this point,” Richard said at the time.

Now former BBC Radio 1 DJ Mike Read has told The Sun that Richard is plotting a pop comeback “Cliff is going to release his new album this year now that he’s cleared his name,” Read said. “He’s had it on hold for years now throughout this ordeal.”

Meanwhile, Richard has threatened to sue the BBC and South Yorkshire police after the media network ran a live broadcast of a raid on his home by the force’s officers.

The BBC broadcast the raid after being told in advance by South Yorkshire Police that it would be taking place, a move which was widely criticised. South Yorkshire police has subsequently apologised for its handling of the “media interest” in his case.

According to Mail On Sunday, Richards will be looking for £1 million compensation for damages and costs.