The band enter the studio to commence recording the follow-up to 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head'...
COLDPLAY started work on the follow-up to their second album ‘A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD’ this week, as they headed into a LONDON studio.
The band are collaborating with producer Ken Nelson again, who worked on their last album and 2000’s ‘Parachutes’.
Work on the album began in Autumn 2003, when Nelson, singer Chris Martin and guitarist Johnny Buckland recorded demos in Chicago.
According to MTV News, a release date for the album has not yet been confirmed, though it is unlikely that it will emerge before 2005. No live dates are expected from the band either in 2004.
A solo live performance by Martin is also expected to appear on the soundtrack to the ‘Mayor of Sunset Strip’ documentary, due for release in the US on March 18.
As previously reported on NME.COM, Coldplay scrapped over 40 songs during early sessions for the third album.
In an exclusive NME.COM interview, Chris Martin said that the band embarked on a little “constructive destruction”, scrapping 42 songs from their back catalogue that they don’t think will make the cut.
“So far all we’ve achieved is managing to scrap 42 songs. I regard that as constructive destruction,” Martin said. “But numbers are insignificant. You could say ‘I’ve written 12 songs’ and they’re all rubbish, or you could say you’ve written one song and it could be ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’. I’m glamorising it, but we were just in Chicago and we scrapped a lot of songs.”
The group have been playing a handful of new songs live; working titles include ‘Gravity’, ‘Poor Me’, ‘Moses’ and ‘World Turns Upside Down’. It’s unclear if any of these will make it to the final record.