French duo pulled out of an appearance on the US late-night satirical show last week just hours before they were due on air
MTV has denied “banning” Daft Punk from appearing on US late-night satirical show The Colbert Report last Tuesday (August 6), insisting it was the French duo and their management who made the decision to pull out.
Host Stephen Colbert claimed on the show that night that MTV was behind Daft Punk’s eleventh hour cancellation.
“Here’s the story: it’s a true story,” Colbert told viewers. “We booked click and clack over here about a month ago. This network is owned by Viacom, which is also the owner of MTV. Apparently, Daft Punk are going to make a surprise appearance on the MTV Video Music Awards. Don’t tell anyone, because fun fact: no one told me until two hours ago.”
Colbert has since re-iterated this version of an events during a guest appearance on US comedian Paul Mecurio’s podcast. “Ultimately, I would say, I understand that the VMAs have got their own rules, and Daft Punk, that’s a big important thing to have done,” Colbert said. “But I’m the guy who’s completely screwed here. I don’t have a show tonight.”
However, the executive producer of the VMAS, Jesse Ignjatovic, has now dismissed the idea that MTV forced Daft Punk’s hand on the issue. He told The Hollywood Reporter: “We don’t put restrictions on anyone. I just think that we’re talking to them about a moment and then things sort of change. I would not describe that as MTV putting restrictions on people – it was up to that artist and their management what they wanted to do.”
During his appearance on Paul Mecurio’s podcast, Colbert also explained that Daft Punk were never due to perform or even speak on his show. The duo, Colbert claimed, merely agreed to “appear” on set while the show aired. The band and their management, Colbert said, also vetoed several skits he came up with that were “playing too much on the idea that they’re not performing as opposed to the joy of them being there”.