But bout is still expected to go ahead, says rapper's management team
The boxing match between DMX and George Zimmerman, the man acquitted of murdering Florida teenager Trayvon Martin in July 2013, has not been “officially confirmed”.
It was reported yesterday that the pair had agreed to fight a bout on March 1 but, speaking to NME, a member of DMX’s management team said that his client had not yet signed the paperwork to take part in the match.
“The boxing match between George Zimmerman and DMX is not officially confirmed,” said Domenick Nati of Nati Celebrity Services. “DMX has promised to ‘beat his ass’, but no contract or paperwork has been signed or agreed to yet. DMX will release an official statement if and when an agreement is made.”
According to XXL, meanwhile, a petition has been started in an attempt to have the fight cancelled. Zimmerman has already signed a contract to take part in the match on March 1 and, although fellow rapper The Game also offered to fight Zimmerman, it is DMX who is expected to step into the right in a bout promoted by Damon Feldman.
Speaking previously about his motivation behind the fight, Zimmerman said: “Prior to the incident, I was actually going to the gym for weight loss and doing boxing-type training for weight loss. A mutual friend put me in contact with Damon and provided me with an opportunity and motivation to get back in shape and continue with my weight loss goals and also be able to help a charity out.”
Speaking about the fight, DMX previously said he would fight for “every black person who has been done wrong in the system”. He continued: “I am going to beat the living fuck out him. I am breaking every rule in boxing to make sure I fuck him right up. Once I am done with him, I am going to whip my dick out and piss on him, right in his muthafuckin’ face.”
George Zimmerman was found not guilty of all charges he faced after shooting unarmed Trayvon Martin in February 2012. Claiming self-defence, the 30 year-old was cleared of all charges a year later.