Elton John cancels two shows in order to attend royal wedding

Unfortunate news for the people of Las Vegas.

Elton John has cancelled two of his performances in Las Vegas in order to attend the upcoming royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

The singer-songwriter announced an epic farewell world tour last month which is rumoured to be his “final” string of performances. The legendary performer shared the news in a live-streamed announcement on January 24, telling fans that he wants to focus on his family.

However, the singer is still performing up until September, including two shows on 18 and 19 May at Caesar’s Palace, Las Vegas which have been cancelled in order for John to attend the Royal Wedding on Saturday, 19 May.

Speaking about his connection to the royal couple, Elton said: “I spent some time with [Harry] in Sicily last summer and I could tell he was totally in love”, reports Metro.

Meanwhile, Elton John recently revealed in a Q&A that answering an ad in NME changed his life. He said: “I was a musician in a band and I hated it. I was playing to people who were eating fish and chips – it was a cabaret thing. “

The story goes that John answered an ad in NME, went to a record company’s office and was handed an envelope of lyrics from a pile, which turned out to be written by his longtime collaborator Bernie Taupin.