Emily Eavis has spoken about Florence Welch's recent promotion to Friday headliner at Glasto
The US band were forced to cancel their European tour after frontman Dave Grohl broke his leg in Sweden. The injury was sustained when he fell offstage in Gothenburg last weekend, later finishing the show despite his pain.
Glastonbury decided to replace the group with singer Florence Welch and co, who had been scheduled to perform the Pyramid Stage slot before, instead of booking another headline act.
Speaking to Digital Spy, Eavis has said: “We all thought Florence was definitely the best option. She’s amazing. We’re just dealing with all the production at the moment, so we’ll get there. There’s lots of ideas flying around.”
Following the announcement earlier this week, Welch released a statement describing the news as an “honour”, adding: “so sorry to hear that the Foo Fighters have had to pull out of Glastonbury, we met Dave Grohl a few years back and he was the nicest guy ever.”
Meanwhile, Eavis has also spoken about Foo Fighters’ cancellation and the hope that the band will headline the festival at some point in the future.
She said: “You don’t see something like that coming and we were so sorry to hear about poor Dave Grohl’s leg. I saw the footage and I did think, ‘OK, if this happens and they have to pull, then what are we going to do?'”
Despite the disappointment, however, Eavis remains hopeful that the band will one day headline Glastonbury. “I would love for them to come back. I really hope they can. Hopefully soon,” she said. “I think it’ll probably be in a couple of years, but it would be brilliant to have them back.”
Emily Eavis has also spoken about what to expect from Kanye West‘s upcoming headline set. The US rapper will headline the Saturday leg (June 27) of the Worthy Farm festival this year.
“I think he’ll create an incredible show. What he’s talking about at the moment is very exciting,” she said. “I think he’s going to take it big. I can’t say anything – I can’t give anything away!”
Eavis also spoke about the backlash the announcement of West’s booking received earlier this year. Some festival-goers were left angered by the selection, with an online petition calling for Kanye to be replaced by a rock band attracting more than 133,000 signatures.
“You’re always prepared because there’s always controversy with whatever you announce,” Eavis said. “You kind of know there’s going to be stuff, but yeah, there was obviously a lot.”
Sign up for the newsletter
Previously, Eavis revealed that she received death threats following the booking.
SEE MORE: Man behind anti-Kanye West petition admits he has never been to Glastonbury before