The 31-year-old star was found dead in a hotel room in Vancouver in July
Glee actor Cory Monteith died of a fatal cocktail of heroin and alcohol, a coroner’s report has ruled.
The 31-year-old actor, who played Finn Hudson in the musical TV show, was found dead in a hotel room in Vancouver on July 13 (2013). Investigators at the scene found “a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, along with two empty champagne bottles and multiple glasses”.
According to the BBC, Coroner Claire Thompson concluded in the final report that Monteith’s death was “accidental”. The findings support an initial coroner’s report into the death of the actor, which ruled that his death was caused by “a mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol”.
According to the final coroner’s report, Monteith had an alcohol level of 0.13 per cent, with a “moderate” level of intoxication. The report also identifies the presence of morphine, codeine and “6-monoacetylmorphine”, a by-product of heroin. CCTV footage at the hotel showed the actor going to his hotel room alone in the early hours of July 13. “He had checked in to the hotel on July 6 and had been expected to check out on the 13th,” the report states. “When he had not done so, hotel staff checked his room and found him unresponsive on the floor.”
The report concludes that Monteith had been dead for several hours: “Mr Monteith was clearly deceased and resuscitation was not attempted.”
Glee, which follows a group of American high school students who form a singing club, will pay tribute to Monteith in a special episode to be broadcast in the US next week.