Rapper's 40/40 club falls foul of health regulations over a faulty fridge
Jay-Z‘s New York nightclub 40/40 was closed down last week by health inspectors.
The club, which has just reopened after being given a $10 million makeover, was shut down after health inspectors visited on Thursday (January 19) to look over the kitchen and found 69 violations of the city’s health codes.
According to the New York Post, the kitchen’s walk-in fridge was heated to 60°, which is classified as a dangerous temperature to store the uncooked meat that was contained within it. The club’s kitchen staff was also criticised after a worker was seen mixing salsa with his bare hands. The club has now dealt with the issues raised by the inspectors and opened for business again over the weekend.
The club had only reopened a day earlier (January 18) after it had been closed for 10 months for refurbishment, but could face further problems after the inspection. The 69 violations of New York’s health code have meant that it has been awarded the worst possible rating for kitchen hygiene and its managers must now attend a hearing to explain themselves next month.
Jay-Z has recently celebrated the birth of his first child with wife Beyonce. Blue Ivy Carter, who was born earlier this month, became the youngest person ever to be credited on the US Billboard chart last week after she featured on Jay-Z‘s recent single ‘Glory’.