The frontman had accused venue security of being involved with the terrorist attack that took place there last year

Eagles Of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes and one of his bandmates were reportedly denied entry to Paris’ Bataclan venue last night (November 12).

The band were playing at the venue on November 13, 2015 when gunmen entered the building and killed 89 concert-goers and staff. The venue reopened last night with a performance from Sting.

Hughes said in an interview in March of this year that a number of security guards who were due to work on the night of the attack did not turn up for work and pondered why that might be.

“When I first got to the venue and walked in, I walked past the dude who was supposed to be the security guard for the backstage,” Hughes explained. “He didn’t even look at me. I immediately went to the promoter and said, ‘Who’s that guy? I want to put another dude on.’ He said, ‘Well, some of the other guards aren’t here yet.’ And eventually, I found out that six or so wouldn’t show up at all… Out of respect for the police still investigating, I won’t make a definite statement, but I’ll say that it seems like they had a reason not to show up.”

He later apologised for his comments, but then gave similar thoughts in another interview later on, to which the French music industry responded by kicking Eagles Of Death Metal off the bill at the French festivals they were booked to play this summer.

“They came, I threw them out – there are things you can’t forgive,” Bataclan co-director Jules Frutos said of the incident last night according to Pitchfork. “He makes these incredibly false declarations every two months. It is madness, accusing our security of being complicit with the terrorists… Enough. Zero. This has to stop.”

UPDATE: Marc Pollack, a representative for Eagles Of Death Metal, has given a statement to Billboard denying that Hughes attempted to enter the Bataclan last night.

The statement reads: “This day is not about Jesse Hughes or Eagles of Death Metal. In fact, Jesse is in Paris to share in remembering the tragic events of a year ago with his friends, family and fans.

“This is about recalling the tragic loss of life that happened right in front of his eyes during his show, and this coward Jules Frutos feels the need to soil his own club’s reopening by spreading false tales to the press, and tainting a wonderful opportunity that could’ve been used to spread peace and love, to further spread mean spirited words of hate. Jesse never even tried entering the club for Sting’s show tonight.”