LENNON KILLER UP FOR PAROLE AGAIN

Mark Chapman faces the board for the second time - 22 years after he shot the legendary Beatle...

John Lennon‘s killer MARK CHAPMAN is to go before the parole board for the second time later this year.

Chapman, who was turned down in his appeal for parole two years ago, is serving 20 years to life in Attica prison near New York. He was imprisoned after pleading guilty to shooting the The Beatles legend dead outside his New York apartment, the Dakota, on Manhattan’s Upper West Side on December 8 1980.

Despite the hearing, it is considered extremely unlikely that Chapman will ever be freed. In 2000, Lawyer Robert Gangi of the Correctional Association Of New York said: “The fact that it was John Lennon…eliminates any hope for even a slim chance for Chapman being released.”

According to reports at the time, Chapman was given a statement within four hours of the parole meeting which told him that his parole had been denied. The reports reveal the statement told Chapman that the board “strongly believes that your release to parole supervision at this time would deprecate the seriousness of the crime and serve to undermine respect for the law.

“You had planned this crime for a protracted period of time and it is apparent that you were obsessed in causing fatal harm to John Lennon… your most vicious and violent act was apparently fuelled by your need to be acknowledged.”