Kendrick Lamar downplays guest appearances on new album

New track 'i' is rumoured to be unveiled next week

Kendrick Lamar has downplayed the possibility of guest appearances on his forthcoming new album.

The rapper spoke to Rolling Stone, saying that he has not yet arranged for any cameos from other musicians or rappers on the record, and may never do so. “I have so much to say,” he commented. “It’s almost selfish of me.”

Speaking further about the release, he said the follow-up to 2012’s ”Good Kid M.A.A.D. City’ will feature a lot of “aggression and emotion”. He continued: “There was a lot left out of Good Kid. It could have been a 30-track album. There are a few new [tracks] that can tie in with what I was talking about.”

Meanwhile, Lamar recently announced the release of new single ‘i’. The rapper took to Twitter earlier this week, simply posting the letter ‘i’ and what appears to be artwork for the release. Billboard reports that the track is scheduled to be released to radio on Tuesday (September 23), while sources have told Rap-Up.com that it will feature a sample from classic soul funk group The Isley Brothers. ‘i’ will likely feature on Lamar’s next album, the follow up to his 2012 major label debut.

Earlier this month, it was reported that the 27-year-old is facing legal action from jazz musicians Eric Reed and Willie Jones III following claims of plagiarism. The onetime members of former jazz ensemble Black Note are suing Lamar over his alleged use of their music in his 2011 song ‘Rigamortis’, claiming the material was taken directly from their 2010 track ‘The Thorn’.

The duo are suing Lamar for at least $1 million (£613,000) and are seeking profits and all rights to ‘Rigamortis’.
https://link.brightcove.com/services/player/?bctid=3744349693001