Organisers say "It is important for Sony to see the uproar they have caused"
Kesha fans are planning a protest outside the Sony offices in New York one week after a court ruled that the pop star cannot leave her contract with the label.
As reported, Kesha has accused Dr Luke of drugging and raping her a decade ago. Last week (February 19), she was denied an exit from her recording contract with the producer by the New York Supreme Court.
Fans are to demand that Kesha is released from her contract with Dr. Luke’s Kemosabe Recordsan imprint of the Sony-owned RCA on Friday. The group will gather outside Sony’s Headquarters on Madison Avenue at 10am local time.
The protest is being organised by online activists Care2. Lacey Kohlmoos of the company told Billboard: “Whether or not Kesha’s music affected someone personally, this case represents the unfair treatment of sexual assault survivors around the globe. It is important for Sony to see the uproar they have caused, so protesters are bringing it right to their front door.”
Meanwhile, head organiser Michael Eisele added in a statement, “Kesha was offered by Sony to record music with producers other than Dr. Luke. However, Kesha is signed with Kemosabe, Dr. Luke’s recording label, which is under Sony Music’s umbrella. Therefore, any music Kesha is expected to release will be under his label, have his name on it, earn him profits and will be undoubtedly left to plummet…regardless of who the producer is.”
A Care2 petition to free Kesha from the label deal currently has nearly 200,000 signatures from fans around the world.
Earlier this week musicians Jack Antonoff and Zedd, volunteered to record music with Kesha that she could then leak online behind the back of Sony.
Since the ruling was made, #FreeKesha has been trending on Twitter with some of the biggest female musicians in the world joining in. Girls creator Lena Dunham said the court case made her feel “actually sick” while Adele dedicated her Brit award win to the pop star.
Meanwhile, Dr Luke has repeatedly denied the accusations and released a statement via his lawyer on Monday (February 22). “I didn’t rape Kesha and I have never had sex with her,” he added on Twitter, claiming that Kesha’s lawsuit is “motivated by money”.