Producer has been accused of rape by the singer
Dr Luke has issued a series of messages via Twitter following increased social media support for singer Kesha as the pop star battles the producer and former mentor in court.
As previously reported, singer Kesha has accused Dr Luke of drugging and raping her a decade ago. On Friday (February 19), she was denied an exit from her recording contract with the producer by the New York Supreme Court.
Following the controversial decision, the likes of Lorde, Lady Gaga, Grimes, Lily Allen and Ariana Grande have offered their support. Taylor Swift has donated £175,000 to help Kesha’s legal battle.
Dr Luke (real name Lukasz Gottwald) released a statement via his lawyer on Monday (February 22) denying the allegations, later posting a series of tweets on the matter.
“Until now I haven’t commented on the lawsuits, which should be resolved in court not here on Twitter,” Gottwald wrote.
He continued: “It’s a shame that there’s so much speculation out there basing itself on so little information… I understand why people without all the information are speaking out. I can appreciate their compassion… But lives can get ruined when there’s a rush to judgment before all the facts come out”.
“I didn’t rape Kesha and I have never had sex with her,” Dr Luke added, claiming that Kesha’s lawsuit is “motivated by money”. See his tweets in full beneath.
Dr Luke’s lawyer Christine Lepara previously issued a statement, calling the rape allegations “outright lies” and claiminh that Kesha is “free” to leave her recording contract.
“The New York County Supreme Court on Friday found that Kesha is already ‘free’ to record and release music without working with Dr. Luke as a producer if she doesn’t want to. Any claim that she isn’t ‘free’ is a myth,” the statement read.
“As Dr. Luke has said repeatedly, the allegations against him are outright lies that have been advanced to extort a contract renegotiation and money. Kesha and her counsel have cavalierly subjected Dr. Luke and his family to trial by Twitter, using a vicious smear campaign to ruin his reputation for financial gain while failing to support their claims.”
“Tellingly, Kesha never reported any purported abuse or rape to any law enforcement authority, or even to Sony Music, and further swore under oath in another matter, while accompanied by her team of lawyers, that it never occurred. The goal of Kesha’s counsel throughout has been to obtain a more lucrative contract through a shameless campaign of outrageous claims they will never stand behind in a court of law,” the statement added.
In October 2014, Kesha filed a lawsuit against her long-time producer Dr Luke for “mental manipulation, emotional abuse and sexual assault”, and was looking to be freed from her contract with him.
Sign up for the newsletter
Kesha had previously said that her career is “effectively over” following delays in the case, with the preliminary injunction papers stating that the singer’s brand value had fallen “past the point of no return.”