The Limp Bizkit tells of his fears at the inquiry into the death of Jessica Michalik...
LIMP BIZKIT lead singer FRED DURST said he warned concert organisers of security problems ahead of a gig which saw a teenage fan killed in a crush.
Frontman Durst has told an Australian court he spoke to Big Day Out organisers following a show in Auckland where a crush developed – the day before a show in Sydney that saw teenage Jessica Michalik killed.
Speaking via videolink from Los Angeles today (June 17) at the inquest into Michalik’s death Durst said: “We definitely said that if they did not fix security we would not play.” He added that he told the promoter: “I just hope the security’s better at the next show because that [Auckland] was a little out of hand.”
During the hearing, Durst also said Jessica’s death had effected him deeply. “It was so overwhelming that a young girl came to see her favourite band and left in a coma and died,” he said. “I’m very emotional right now talking about it, it’s taken me a long time to talk about this.”
Jessica died from a heart attack following a crowd crush at Big Day Out last year.
Its the second time in a little over a week that someone within the Bizkit camp has laid blame for the Michalik’s death at the door of the promoters.
Bizkit tour manager Chris Gratton had previously told the inquest there had been “absolute crowd mayhem” during the festival.
He blamed organisers, denying the band had aggravated the situation by screaming obscenities from the stage.
The inquest, in Sydney, continues.