LIMP BIZKIT PLEDGE TO CO-OPERATE WITH FAN DEATH INQUEST

The band had been coming under increasing criticism from the coroner examining the death of a 16-year-old during the band's set at the Big Day Out...

LIMP BIZKIT have pledged to co-operate with an Australian coroners court when an inquest into the death of a fan from injuries sustained during one of their shows resumes in early spring.

The band had come under increasing criticism from the coroner Jacquie Milledge throughout an initial two week hearing – which rested last Friday (November 30). The inquest is into the death of 16-year-old Jessica Michalik. She was crushed and suffered a heart attack when the crowd surged during Bizkit‘s set on January 26. She died in hospital five days later without regaining consciousness. Milledge said the court was “offended” by Limp Bizkit‘s response to an early request from her that its frontman, Fred Durst, testify. Milledge was insistent that Durst had the best vantage point to describe how events progressed.

Now, Bizkit manager Peter Katsis says that “people on our team who know the most of what is truly pertinent… the ones who made the contracts, advanced the production details with the concert promoter, stood next to the promoter and police during the show, wore headphones and communicated with festival staff, and [went] into the pit when security proved inadequate” will provide all information they can.

It remains unclear if Durst himself will travel to Sydney to give evidence when the inquest resumes on February 25.

According to MTV, Katsis claims Durst had not travelled to give his testimony at the Sydney hearing for three reasons. He says Milledge’s questions were all answered in a fax, that others were more knowledgeable about what had happened than Durst and that he was a fearful flier who wouldn’t travel unless it was absolutely necessary.