The frontman used drugs to sexually abuse young children
Further details have emerged of the charges against former Lostprophets frontman Ian Watkins. Some of the information contained within this report may cause distress.
Earlier today (November 26), the former singer of the now-defunct Welsh band pleaded guilty to 13 sexual offences, including two of attempting to rape a baby. Two female co-defendants, who cannot be named, also admitted to numerous child sex offences.
The evidence against Watkins came from computers, laptops and mobile phones, which were seized by police. The court heard that he filmed and kept the episodes of abuse, which took place in locations including hotels in London and south Wales. Some of the evidence was deemed too extreme and distressing to report by media in court.
- A 17-minute long video involving Watkins and one of the women shot in a London hotel room showed Watkins performing a sex act on an 11-month-old baby. He claims he has no memory of the event. The video was shot in a hotel room in Shepherds Bush, London, the day after the release of the band’s final album ‘Weapons’. Earlier that day, he had appeared on BBC Radio 1. Prosecutors said that Watkins and the women subsequently exchanged emails about how they would not go “easy” on the child next time.
- One laptop seized from Watkins’ home was password protected with the password “If***kids”, which was uncovered when it was sent to GCHQ to be cracked.
- Watkins sent a text message to one of the women saying: “If you belong to me, so does your baby.” The court also heard how Watkins sent messages to to one of his co-defendants talking of how he wanted “to cross the line”. When she responded with “A summer of incest and child porn”, he replied: “Hell yes baby.” He then told her: “The sooner we start training her the better.”
- Police downloaded video footage showing one woman being encouraged to abuse her child via a conversation on Skype. In the footage, which takes the form of a split screen, Watkins is seen masturbating and refers to the woman and her baby as his “slave duo.” The child’s mother then refers to her baby as “your little **** toy.” At a later date she sent him a picture of herself having oral sex with the baby.
- Prosecuting barrister Chris Clee QC told the court that drugs played a “significant part in his offending against children”. Police found meth, cocaine and GHB during their searches. Watkins also planned to “teach” the babies how to take drugs, the hearing was told. He also reportedly planned intoxicate one of his victims by blowing crystal-meth smoke into the child’s face at a Cardiff hotel.
- Police also found box of camcorder cassettes which held recordings of sex acts with underage fans.
- The court heard in October 2006, Watkins met up in a hotel with a 16-year-old girl from Boston, who he had met during during a Lostprophets concert. The prosecution said she had agreed to give her virginity to him and flew from Boston to New York and went to a hotel where he was staying, bringing with her a schoolgirl outfit he had asked her to dress in. They are then filmed having oral and full sex before he asks her: “Do you like being my underage slut.” He then urinated on her face and told her to ‘drink my p***’, the court heard.”
- In Oct 2008 he filmed himself having sex with another 16-year-old girl, who was also a Lostprophets fan.
- The singer also admitted possessing and making child porn as well as launching the plot to rape a baby.
- Claiming his innocence, Watkins had told police during interviews he was being stalked by “a crazed fan” and other people had access to his computers. He also claimed he was the “victim of a malicious campaign”.
Read the full story here.