Madonna urged by New York judge to resolve custody battle with Guy Ritchie

The singer and her ex-husband have failed to reach an agreement over custody of their son Rocco

Madonna and Guy Ritchie have been urged by a New York City judge to reach a resolution over their son Rocco’s custody.

After their lawyers confirmed that a deal between the singer and her ex-husband had fallen apart on Tuesday evening, State Supreme Court Justice Deborah Kaplan told the court yesterday (March 2): “No one is disrupting [Rocco’s] household other than the inability of the parents to reach a resolution. If they cannot resolve this matter then eventually the court will.”

Justice Kaplan ruled in December that Rocco Ritchie should return to his mother’s custody, but he has yet to do so. The 15-year-old left Madonna’s ‘Rebel Heart Tour’ last year so that he could live with his father in London.

“It’s been a very difficult time for him,” Rocco Ritchie’s court-appointed attorney Ellen Sigal said at the hearing yesterday. “We hope to put an end to this as soon as possible without exposing him to more litigation, press innuendo, any of that kind of thing.”

Neither Madonna nor Guy Ritchie appeared in court for the hearing, both choosing to phone in instead. The singer is about to begin the New Zealand and Australia leg of her ‘Rebel Heart Tour’. At the end of yesterday’s hearing, Justice Kaplan set a date of June 1 for Madonna and Ritchie to return to court.

It is not known when Madonna last saw Rocco, the younger of her two biological children. In recent weeks she has posted numerous photos on Instagram saying she is missing him.

I miss this boy so full of life so full@of@love! I hope we see that Leo Sun soon. The light is blinding!

A photo posted by Madonna (@madonna) on