Pepsi fire mishap may have fuelled singer's addiction to painkillers

A video of a harrowing accident that occurred while Michael Jackson was filming a Pepsi commercial in 1984 has surfaced online.

The video, which can be viewed below, shows Jackson dancing on stage at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles while pyrotechnic displays explode around him. Things went wrong during the sixth take, when the fireworks went off too early and Jackson‘s hair caught on fire.

Jackson was apparently unaware that his head was burning and continued dancing until the crew descended on him to put out the flames. He reportedly suffered third-degree burns on his scalp and body as a result.

According to Usmagazine.com, Jackson was prescribed several medications to help him tolerate the pain from this accident, which began his addiction to painkillers and his obsession with plastic surgery.

Watch the Michael Jackson Pepsi fire accident video:

–By our Los Angeles staff.
[url=”/about”] Find out more about NME.[/url]