JACKO TRIAL TO BE DELAYED?

The star's lawyers want an extra four months to prepare...

Michael Jackson‘s lawyers have requested the singer’s trial against charges of child molestation be delayed by four months.

The star’s legal team have asked for extra time to study the prosecution’s evidence, meaning that if the motion goes ahead the case would not come to trial until at least the beginning of 2005.

Defence attorney Steve Cochran said: “The expenditure of resources by the prosecution is unprecedented and extravagant. This is not a usual criminal investigation. It is an effort to take down a major celebrity.”

In his request for the delay, Cochran also argued that “in virtually every respect, this litigation is unusual and complex.”

According to BBC News, the motion said: “Nothing less than Mr Michael Jackson‘s life is at stake in these proceedings.”

The motion was kept sealed until yesterday (July 26) due to the secrecy orders imposed on the case, despite it being initially filed on July 13. Certain sections were also blacked out due to the secrecy restrictions.

Prosecutors have hit back at the request saying that four months would be too long, though said that they would not oppose a “reasonable” delay.

Gordon Auchincloss, deputy District Attorney, said: “any continuance contemplated should be measured in weeks, not months”.

As previously reported on NME.COM, Michael Jackson has pleaded not guilty to a ten count indictment which includes charges of child molestation, extortion, false imprisonment, child abduction and giving a minor an intoxicating agent.

The star is currently set to stand trail on the child molestation charges in California’s Santa Barbara on September 13.