PM doesn't want kids watching saucy pop promos
Prime Minister David Cameron is pushing forward with plans to issue music videos with age certificates, according to reports.
The Daily Telegraph says that Cameron wants raunchy pop promos to be given 18 certificates if they are unsuitable for children, and also claims that the government is set to meet with music industry bosses next month to discuss the proposal.
Earlier this year (January 1), it was reported that Cameron was worried about the “commercialisation and sexualisation of childhood” and was said to be considering introducing rules that would also call for the ban of sexualised images in public advertising and the covering up of explicit magazine displays.
He is now reportedly unhappy at the reaction of the music industry following the report he commissioned from Reg Bailey, the head of the Church Of England pressure Group Mothers Union. At the time, the report said: “Concerns focused on sexual and violent nature of song lyrics; highly sexualised, verging on explicit, dance routines; and the stereotyped gender roles portrayed.
“Music videos were highlighted by some parents who responded to our call for evidence: they expressed concern that these videos were influencing their sons’ behaviour towards and perceptions of women in a negative way.”
Now, Mr Bailey has added: “Many of the industries mentioned in last year’s report have responded positively to our recommendations. I cannot say that has been the case with music videos.
“Age ratings should be introduced for music videos. There is also a clear case for age-verification for such sites.”
Earlier this year, XL Recordings boss Richard Russell went as far as to say that there was an overload of “faux porn” in the promotion of female artists in pop music and that he believed the idea a new female pop star could be successful without being over-sexualised in promoting her work was “unbelievable”.