Dappy accused in court of starting a fight at a petrol station last February (2012)

Prosecution put their case at Guildford Crown Court

Former N-Dubz star Dappy has been accused in court of starting a fight at a petrol station in Surrey after spitting towards two girls who refused to get into a car with him and two friends.

The rapper appeared at Guildford Crown Court today (January 8) alongside three other men: Kieran Vassell, Kalonji Stewart and Alfred Miller. All four men are charged with affray.

The court heard that Dappy and his friends pulled up in a car at a Shell garage in Guildford, Surrey early on 28 February last year (2012). He and a friend, Kalonji Stewart, then got out of the car along with a third man. While Stewart went inside the shop Dappy began talking to two girls, who were in a group sitting on the kerb outside.

Prosecution lawyer Brian Stork claims that the N-Dubz rapper tried to persuade the girls to get into the car and reacted angrily when they refused, allegedly calling one ugly and then spitting at them but missing. The court then heard that a man called David Jenkins who had just met the two girls came to their defence, reports BBC Newsbeat.

Dappy is said to have spat at him before swinging a punch – at which point, the barrister told the court, “it all kicked off”. Stork showed the jury CCTV footage showing what he said was two other men attacking Jenkins and his two friends. Dappy is alleged to have got involved when he was released from a head lock. Tests on a saliva stain on Jenkins’s T-shirt showed a DNA link to Dappy, Stork said.

Taking the stand, Jenkins said he had put Dappy in a head lock after the singer and his friends became aggressive towards the two girls. He claims a bigger fight then broke out which resulted in him being punched and losing some teeth.

Stork said that Dappy told police when he was arrested that he was attacked, put in a head lock and got straight into a car when his security came to collect him. He denies spitting at anyone.

The case continues.