Zayn Malik cancels first solo TV interview on ‘The Graham Norton Show’

Singer is 'currently in the studio completing his album'

Zayn Malik has cancelled what would have been his first TV appearance since leaving One Direction.

Malik was scheduled to appear on Friday’s episode of The Graham Norton Show (January 29), but was not scheduled to perform.

“Unfortunately there was a scheduling conflict as Zayn is currently in the studio completing his album​,” a spokesperson for Malik told Digital Spy.

Despite Malik’s cancellation, guests Will Smith, Ryan Reynolds, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Toby Jones will still appear on the BBC One show as scheduled. Laura Mvula will perform live.

NMEGetty

Malik recently announced that he will release new single ‘Pillow Talk’ on Friday (January 29). It is his first single since leaving the boy band.

Malik recently described ‘Pillow Talk’ as “dirty and raw”. “Everybody has sex, and it’s something people want to hear about,” he said.

Malik quit One Direction, who are currently on an extended hiatus, in March 2015 and is now embarking on a solo career. Since his departure he has hinted at tension between himself and other members of the band, saying only Liam Payne has kept in touch with him.

Malik previously described the boy band’s music as “generic as fuck” and claimed he would be embarrassed to play their music around girls.