Influential Chicago musician had heroin, cocaine, and alprazolam in his system at time of death
Results of an autopsy have confirmed that DJ Rashad died from a drugs overdose.
The Chicago-based musician died in April with initial reports from his family suggesting that a blood clot in his leg had been the cause of his death. However, as NBC Chicago reports, the medical examiners confirmed that the death was accidental and that heroin, cocaine, and alprazolam (Xanax)—were found in his system.
Rashad Harden’s body was discovered by a friend in an apartment in Chicago on April April 26.
Tributes from the dance music community were paid following his death with Disclosure labeling him an “inspirational pioneer of an amazing wave of music.” Chance The Rapper, who toured with Rashad in 2013, also honoured the musician, stating “Music lost a legend.”
Rashad’s final release, the ‘We On 1’ EP came out via the Houston-based label Southern Belle on April 28. He is survived by his son, Chad, 9; and his parents, Anthony and Gloria.