No one will be charged over Prince’s death, attorney decides

The icon died on April 21, 2016 following an accidental overdose of fentanyl

No one will charged in relation to Prince‘s death, it has been confirmed.

Prince died at the age of 57, when he was found alone and unresponsive in his Paisley Park estate on April 21 in 2016. Shortly after his death, it was confirmed that he died from an opioid overdose. The star was found to have fentanyl in his system – which is 50 times more powerful than heroin.

Carver County attorney Mark Metz said the musician had suffered the overdose due to taking counterfeit pills, which contained the painkiller. “Prince had no idea he was taking a counterfeit pill that could kill him,” Metz said. However, no evidence showing how the star got hold of the pills has been found, meaning no criminal charges will be filed in the case, as CNN reports.

None of the medications found in Prince’s home after his death had been prescribed to him, with some having been prescribed to his former drummer Kirk Johnson, and others found in vitamin bottles and envelopes.

Prince death

Prince

Physician Michael Schulenberg, who saw Prince twice in the weeks before he died, agreed to pay $30,000 (£21,228) to the court to settle allegations that he had prescribed drugs to another person in the knowledge that it would be Prince who would take them. He did not admit liability as part of the deal.

Schulenberg’s attorney Amy S. Conners said in a statement the doctor had made the agreement “in order to avoid the expense, delay, and unknown outcome of litigation.” She also said her client did not prescribe opiates to anyone with the intention of them being given to Prince.

“After he learned of Prince’s addiction, he immediately worked to refer Prince to a treatment facility and to transfer care to a chemical dependency specialist,” Conners said. “Dr. Schulenberg has previously disclosed all information regarding his care and treatment of Prince to his employers, law enforcement, and regulatory authorities in the course of his complete cooperation with all related investigations.”

Earlier today, the Prince Estate shared the original studio recording of ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ for the first time. It was accompanied by previously unseen rehearsal footage from 1984. Meanwhile, Prince’s memoir – titled The Beautiful One – is expected to be released later this year.