Singer also says he's been 'deeply saddened' by events over the last week
One Direction singer Liam Payne has insisted the boyband will carry on despite Zayn Malik’s decision to leave the band.
The singer departed the band on Wednesday (March 25), after he had previously pulled out of the group’s Asian tour with stress.
A statement from One Direction announced that they would continue on as a four-piece, and now Payne affirmed that stance on Twitter.
Malik has since spoken about his departure for the first time.
“I feel like I’ve let the fans down but I can’t do this anymore,” he said. “It is crazy and wild and a bit mad but, at the same time, I’ve never felt more in control in my life.”
“And I feel like I’m doing what’s right – right by myself and right by the boys, so I feel good.”
“You know, I did try to do something that I wasn’t happy doing for a while, for the sake of maybe other people’s happiness,” he added. “And that was mainly the fans. And I only ever tried to do it for the fans, and it was only ever for them.
“I’m only upset [because] I feel like I may have let them down in some sort of way. It’s not that I’ve turned my back on them or anything, it’s just that I just can’t do that anymore because it’s not real to me.”
Rumours about Malik’s future in the band were abound after he recently pulled out of the group’s Asian tour (March 19) so he could fly back to the UK to be with his family after pictures emerged of him with a mystery girl in Thailand. Malik is currently engaged to Little Mix singer Perrie Edwards.