FBI says P Diddy papers appear fake

The documents allegedly linked rap mogul to Shakur assault

Documents linking rap mogul P Diddy to a 1994 assault on Tupac Shakur appear to be fake, the FBI said today (March 28).

The documents were filed by convicted conman James Sabatino in Miami Federal Court last autumn as part of a $19 million lawsuit against P Diddy, whose real name is Sean Combs.

“We have no record of these documents in our system,” FBI Agent Stephen Kodak told the Associated Press. “They don’t appear to be legitimate.”

The papers were used as the basis for a Los Angeles Times story published earlier this month implicating Diddy and his associates in the assault.

The newspaper issued an apology for the story this week after the Smoking Gun website gave them reason to believe the documents were falsified, as previously reported.

Sabatino‘s lawsuit against Combs is still pending.

–By our Los Angeles staff.

Find out more about NME.

The NME Awards USA 2008 are coming soon — and it’s time to have your say. Vote now by heading to Nme.com/usaawards and you could win VIP tickets to the ceremony, which takes place in Los Angeles on April 23.