LA Times may have based story on fraudulent information
The Los Angeles Times has announced that it is launching an investigation into the authenticity of documents the newspaper cited in a story published last week implicating Sean P Diddy Combs‘ associates in the 1994 shooting of hip-hop star Tupac Shakur.
LA Times editor Russ Stanton ordered the investigation after the Smoking Gun celebrity website told the newspaper that the documents appeared to be forgeries.
The website said the documents looked suspicious for several reasons, including the fact that they appeared to be written on a typewriter rather than a computer, and included blacked-out sections not typically found in such documents.
“Questions have been raised about the authenticity of documents that we relied on for a story on the assault of Tupac Shakur in New York,” Stanton said in a statement issued today (March 26).
“We are taking this very seriously and have begun our own investigation,” he added.
P Diddy has denied that his associates had any involvement in Shakur‘s shooting, calling the report “completely untrue,” as previously reported.
Shakur recovered from the 1994 shooting, but was then shot dead in 1996 in Las Vegas. His killer has never been caught.
–By our Los Angeles staff.
The NME Awards USA 2008 are coming soon — and it’s time to have your say. Vote now by heading to Nme.com/usaawards and you could win VIP tickets to the ceremony, which takes place in Los Angeles on April 23.