Photographer cleared of assaulting Paul McCartney’s ex

Conviction is quashed due to Heather Mills no-show

A photographer convicted of assaulting Sir Paul McCartney‘s ex-wife has been cleared of charges after Heather Mills failed to appear in court today (May 20).

Jay Kaycappa had been sentenced to 140 hours of community service for allegedly grabbing Mills by her shoulder and taking her photograph in 2006, but these charges were reversed after he won an appeal today in a Lewes, England court.

An attorney told the court that he believed Mills did not attend the hearing because she was in the United States.

However, Judge Richard Brown said he received a note from Mills‘ physician saying she was suffering from stress, reports the Associated Press.

Last week, a High Court judge declared Mills‘ and McCartney‘s marriage officially over.

–By our Los Angeles staff.

Find out more about NME.